Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Meanwhile , at the Hospital

I'll not mention the hospital , since the other places are probably like this one in the Nashville area.
A person very dear to me had some serious operations last week and over the weekend , she was in rehab. This is what I encountered yesterday
It's 6pm. Do you know where you are ? Heh Heh Heh
The Medical Director was making rounds to see how things were going on the floor. " How strange. Since when does management make rounds on a Sunday ? " I thought.
MD : Now that the flu season is over , do you or your friend need flu shots
Jerry : No , butt hey , she has'nt eaten all day. Can . . . .
MD : Not a problem . Just ask the nurse.
Jerry : I did ask this morning and . . . . .
MD : Ask again , I'm sure it's not tooo late for breakfast. ( Looks at his watch )
Jerry : ( pointing across the hall ) That person has had nurses all day , food delivered , PT and OT has worked with her 3 times today. No one has been in here today
MD : All you have to do is ask.
Jerry : I did ask and when no one came , I helped her to the bathroom. AND , I even changed the bed linens
MD : Just ask for a nurse
Jerry : Why does that person get taken care of ( points across the hall ) and nothing gets done in here ?
MD : Well , she is a immigrant ( pointing ) , and your friend has insurance
Jerry : OK , no one has been in here today to give her pain medicine , no one ! ! ( patient in pain , hitting buzzer that does'nt work , a wire dangles from the bed )
MD : Again sir , that's between her and the insurance , however , I'm sure if she asks , she can still get her 8am meds ( looks at his watch , again )
Jerry : Butt , why does that woman across the hall recieve care and my friend does not ?
MD : Sir , that woman is an immigrant , your friend has insurance ( points to the bed )
Jerry : I don't understand this
MD : Do you know what a lawyer is ? Have you heard of attorneys ? If we don't care for the immigrants , we get sued . Your friend has insurance , that woman does not . Now , about those flu shots , I'll cut you a deal , 2 for the price of one

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?