Saturday, July 08, 2006

 

Hand Job

posted 06-28-06
Kicking back , taking a little break , my good little boy trolls the net for me , while I check my mail.
I have traveled all over this beautiful country. One thing that bites my ass , is a auto repair shop that takes people for a ride , and I'm not talking about in bed either. Seeing this picture reminds me of a dealership called Harpeth Ford in an expensive little B. S. town in Tennessee.
A friend's Ford van had a knocking in the steering wheel. The good folks at Harpeth said their FORD certified mechanic found the belts had slipped in the expensive Bridgestone tires having 3,000 miles on them. They were not covered under warranty. The Service Writer explained new tires would fix the problem. Of course he recommended the highest end tires which included warranty in the price , however , mounting , balancing , valve stems , tire removal , tire mounting , tire weights and labor were extra.
OK , her van is in the shop getting new tires. When we returned to her house to wait it out , the phone was ringing like crazy. Yep , it was that nice little man , you know , the Service Writer at Harpeth Ford , he was all excited , out of breath , and trying to explain that her ball joints were busted on both sides of her steering. They needed replacing to ensure proper front end alignment after mounting the new tires. Not knowing any better , she authorized the work. Now any good man would know , those ball joints were causing the steering wheel knocking. The so called tire belts had not slipped. How does a tire belt slip anyway , after it's been cooked in an oven ? If that FORD certified mechanic had looked in the first place , would'nt he have seen the real problem ?
The good folks at Harpeth Ford took my friend for 1,500 hundred dollars. And , NO , she has'nt been back since. In the meantime , I've been learning a few things about cars. That extra little bit of knowledge has paid for itself more than once , since that little episode. And , you won't find a Ford in my drive way. American auto makers wonder how foreign car makers beat them every year. Well , it's no wonder to me.
I hope this little story helps someone out there.

I copied this from another blog. Are they talking about Harpeth Ford here in Franklin ? Their blog does not say where they are. I did rewrite some of this post to clean up the language.

I got a response from her. It is Alexander Ford-Mercury. 07-07-06

Comments:
Sounds like something is amiss there. Several people have made similar remarks to yours but don't want to give their names here. Thank you for stepping forward. I wonder what the BBB has.
 
for me, nothing beats my "shadetree mechanic", the one that will fix the nail in my tire for free if i make him some of my carrot cake, and who will stop by my house to make sure that grinding noise is gone, and who i can call in a panic at 8am on a saturday because the engine isn't turning over.

why would anyone go back to a dealership for something the warantee doesn't cover anyway?
 
amackid - that's a good point. Hey , where's my carrot cake ?
 
hmmmm....
 
Mean service!
 
carrot cake on the way - as long as you promise not to write a consumer report warning tenneseeans away from it.

men from tennesee make me melt.
 
Could you hold the melting until the carrot cake gets here ?
 
It has been some time since the original article has posted, but in case someone finds this during a Google search (as I did), here's my 2 cents. I recently went to Alexander Ford in Franklin to buy a car. I won't go through the whole story, but their customer service and salepeople are appalling. I am grateful, though - I will buy a foreign car that probably is of much better quality.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?