Sunday, June 17, 2007

 

Solar Lights


I was approached by a rocket scientist at NASA , about his solar lights not staying lit all night long. " What do I do ? " , he exclaimed with cross eyes.
Well , if it's a MALIBU unit , I can understand. Typical solar lights use a 600 AA battery. This can be substituted with a 400AA battery. There's not much difference in the brightness and the light will stay on for the night. If the light is covered for more than one hour in the shade , the light will suffer in performance. Here's a tip , the new MALIBU lights do use the 400 AA battery. A 600AA battery can be substituted instead and the light will perform well , despite having a smaller solar cell for charging. The older units had two batteries. Now , all the units I've seen , regardless of brand , use a single battery. This means a cheaper light in cost of parts , while the price to consumers , goes up with the increase in their popularity and demand. I've gotten several compliments for the lighting in my back yard.
Note : This information does not apply to the Hampton Bay deck light. They use a 2 x 600AA battery system and are made for deck use. I do not like using them in the back yard because of their brightness. However , they are great to have around the deck's edge and the steps.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?