Friday, August 17, 2007

 

The Razorback Challenge


OK. I've said some badly truthful things about Academy's decals , found on their 1/72 scale models. So , let's do something here. I've decided to build Academy's 1/72 scale Thunderbolt P-47D " Razor-back " , No. 2175. At the same time , I will be building the Tamiya 1/72 scale Republic P-47D Thunderbolt " Razorback " , No.69 .
Why ? Simple. There are many places a person can read about models. The writers are usually model building professionals , they get paid for doing it , they get free models to build , and they have won contests.
Me ? I'm not a professional , I pay out of pocket for my models and my supplies , I have not won any contests or even entered one. Therefore , I can be brutal or nice about what I say and not worry :) Another point is simply this - let's see what a non - pro can do , and be objective in the process. I have not heard of a model club in this area and the pros don't want to give tips. Everything I know about model building comes from elbow grease and reading. Before getting started , I want everyone to know , I have not read anything about these 2 models. In other words , I'm in the dark here , exploring new plastic territory.
I chose Academy because there are a lot of good writings about their models and I have'nt seen anyone talk about their awful decals. Academy made model making history with their F/A - 18C Hornet in 1/32 scale. Having a $ 175 dollar price tag , I'm curious if those decals are useable.
Secondly , I chose Tamiya because it gives me another model of the same airplane , to compare with. Plus :
1) Both models are currently on the store shelves.
2) Both models are the same scale.
3) Both have the same under-wing weaponry.
4) Both have 2 types of propellers.
5) They are both Razorback's !
This project gives a view for modeling fans to compare Academy against Tamiya in an equal setting. Both models will be built straight from the box , wheels down. If the decals don't work , then the decals don't work and the decals get put on anyway :)
Besides , I have not seen any one do a comparison build project , so this should be interesting.
Right out of the box , having the kits side by side , it is evident by looking over the parts , why Tamiya costs more. It is said , " You get what you pay for " . I'm about to find out , and I'm sharing this experience with everyone.
I have a different post in here somewhere about Academy's P-47D " Bubble Top " in 1/72 scale.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?