Friday, February 08, 2008

 

Vanderbilt's Hiring Practices

Vanderbilt University - BVD was strolling along the sidewalk , enjoying this spring like day in February , when he heard a noise.

Person 1 : Let me get this straight. There's some rule in your rule book , that says this guy can't be hired.
Person 2 : Yes , that's correct.
P 1 : OK. So , again , how long will it take , to replace Chancellor Gee ?
P 2 : Look. You have to understand , these rules are not my doing.
P 1 : Rules ? You just said a moment ago , that this was policy
P 2 : Rules , policy , who cares a damn ? Look , just go and review , again , Vanderbilt's hiring policy
P 1 : You mean , rule book , right ?
P 2 : Groan , gasp , what ever.
P 1 : I just don't understand. I mean , look at The School of Engineering. That guy Galloway did'nt have the criteria for the dean's position , butt , they hired him.
P 2 : That's right. He was hired. BUTT , he was one of the only 5 people who applied. The School had to hire somebody. Am I right ?
P 1 : Well , yeah , butt , he was'nt the right guy for the school , or Vanderbilt. I just cannot understand for the life of me , why there are so many ridiculous rules and policies governing the hiring and selection process.
P 2 : Exactly.
P 1 : ? , Hm. What ?
P 2 : You just figured it out.
P 1 : Now , I'm confused. I had originally thought the system was to weed out those people , who were not qualified.
P 2 : giggling , Exactly my boy ( giggling ) exactly ( snickering )
P 1 : I just don't understand. I don't see what's so funny , about Vanderbilt being so dysfunctional , about hiring Gee's replacement. And , this problem goes from one end of the campus to the other. Plplplplplplease , please tell me why the hiring rules and policies are so complicated and confusing.
P 2 : groan , sigh , sigh , more giggling. OK. Look. ( giggling ) The reason Vanderbilt ( snickering ) has this ( giggling ) complicated hiring system ( giggling ) is to deliberately make the hiring process ( giggling ) soooo complicated , ass to discourage any qualified candidate from applying in the first place.
P 1 : ? , ? , ? , What ? Butt why ?
P 2 : Because then , Vanderbilt can hire the person they want , while side stepping federal guide lines concerning employment. In addition , since the person being hired , will not have the proper qualifications , Vanderbilt does'nt have to pay them accordingly. Now , do you understand how Dean Galloway got hired ?

Comments:
Who's on first?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?